Are you eligible for the new Child Tax Credit?
If you're a parent of a minor child, the answer is probably yes!
Starting July 15, over 90% of Pinellas parents will start automatically receiving the monthly Child Tax Credit. Passed through the American Rescue Plan and signed by President Biden, this historic tax cut will provide $250 a month to parents for each child age 6-17, and $300 for for each child under 6 - straight to families' bank accounts! That's up to $3600 per child per year!
This momentous tax cut will cut child poverty in America in half and help all families succeed. Stronger families, stronger country!
To qualify for monthly Child Tax Credit payments, you — and your spouse, if you filed a joint return — must have:
If you didn’t earn enough to have to file taxes in 2020 or 2019, you can still get benefits.
- Filed a 2019 or 2020 tax return and claimed the Child Tax Credit on the return; or
- Submitted your information to the IRS in 2020 to receive the Economic Impact Payment using the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool; and
- A main home in the United States for more than half the year (the 50 states and the District of Columbia) or file a joint return with a spouse who has a main home in the United States for more than half the year; and
- A qualifying child who is under age 18 at the end of 2021 and who has a valid Social Security number; and
- Made less than $150,000 for a couple or $112,500 for a family with a single parent.
Low-income families with children are eligible for this crucial tax relief – including those who have not made enough money to be required to file taxes. Use the IRS Non-filer Sign-up Tool to submit your information and receive the monthly Child Tax Credit for your family.
If you've filed taxes previously and want to make sure your family is enrolled to receive the monthly benefit, visit the IRS Child Tax Credit Update Portal.
Will this historic tax break make a difference in your life or the lives of your children? I want to hear from Pinellas parents - share your story with me here!